Friday, June 24, 2005

Grandpa Ted

Mom's Grandpa Ted passed away this morning. He was 86 and in fair health. He had triple bi-pass sugary 13 years ago, and was living as strong as he could after that. He died in his sleep laying in bed next to his wife. Apparently he was in no pain what so ever, he just died. His wife woke up at 2:30am and went to the bathroom and he was fine, and when she woke at 6:30am he was cold.
The fact that he is dead is really sad, but mom can't figure out weather or not she is sadder that his wife woke up and found him dead next to her. That image is so awful to her.
Mom has not seen her grandpa in a while, but all her memories from childhood are bright and shiny. He was a good man, who was a good father to his 5 kids. He was in the Navy and traveled a lot but always was there if his kids needed anything. He got remarried after he divorced his first wife, to Marianna an amazing German lady with flaming red hair, green eyes and an accent to boot. She made him a better man, and never tried to become anyone's mom or grandma against their wishes. That is why we all loved her more.
I hope that Ted Swanson (Grandpa Ted) Rests in peace. And his memory continues to live on.

1 comment:

Emily Farris said...

I'm sorry about your (great) grandpa Ted. I never really knew either of my grandfathers. One died before I was born and the other while I was very young. I remember, however, the one who died when I was young also remarried a fiery red head. Her name was Wilma and she always had gum. Lots of gum.