Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Life without a car

So mom is in the process of moving or rather painting our new apartment in Greenpoint.

I have to say that it is very difficult to gather supplies when there is no way to take more than you can carry. Last night mom decided that it would be a good idea to carry 3 gallons of paint a stool and other random things to our new apartment so she could begin painting it! Well, everything that she needed to carry weighed over 50lbs, (and she is not strong enought to do this. . . .

That is ok for really short distances but for long distances such as walking to the subway and down the the street to the apartment it is not ok.
Mom got half way to the bleeker st stop arms shaking and all, and broke down and took a cab. She had to. There was no way she could have put that load in her bike basket, and no way she could have continued to carry it all the way to BK. The cab ride only cost her 11 dollars, but it was money that she would not have to spend if she had a car. (I KNOW THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER COSTS THAT GO ALONG WITH HAVING A CAR THAT MAKES IT STUPID TO HAVE ONE IN THE CITY, BUT IF MONEY AND PARKING WERE NOT AN ISSUE), it might be nice to have the option of another method of transport while carrying heavy loads.
Tonight will be fun, mom is going to try and carry me in the dog bag (which I hate), and a very large ladder from soho to Greenpoint via subway.

I'll keep you updated on how that process goes. I can just say, I will not make it easy for her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe,
I don't know too much about them, but they were big in San Francisco. www.zipcar.com. Basically you get an account with them and then you can pick up one of their cars at one of thier locations and just be on your merry way. I looked into it when I was in San Fransisco and didn't want to buy a car. I think they're a good idea for the city cause you don't really want to pay for a car when you don't need one (or take care of it). I'm all for it.